Deadline: March 1
Created in 2004-05, the Nick Ivins Memorial Literature Scholarship was established in memory of Nick Ivins (BA, English Literature, 2004). Nick’s family—parents Ed and Jaki, and sister Hayley—created this legacy of an endowed scholarship to support deserving students who love literature and who, like Nick himself, especially love the modernist work of James Joyce, author of A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, Ulysses
, and Finnegans Wake
. The award amount for the upcoming fall semester
is approximately $1,000.
The scholarship application has an essay requirement. The following links provide good examples of how to talk about the impact a work has had on you, how a text works, and what makes it successful:
*Premium content. May need to log-in via ASU Libraries to view entire article.
Visit the online application (link below) for complete details on the essay requirement.
To be eligible for the scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- be a sophomore or advanced English major as defined by the ASU General Catalog, (25 or more completed semester hours), during the semester when the scholarship is received;
- be a full-time student (enrolled in 12 hours) during the semester he/she receives the scholarship;
- have a 2.5 minimum cumulative grade point average and a 3.0 minimum grade point average in the major; and
- be an Arizona resident qualifying for resident tuition.
Preference in the selection process will be given to applicants who
- have participated or are currently enrolled in an ACMRS Study Abroad Summer Program or other ASU Study Abroad Program; and
- have a concentration in English Literature.
Previous recipients of the Nick Ivins Memorial Literature Scholarship are no longer eligible to apply.
2016-2017: Curtiss Johnson
2015-2016: [No award given]
2014-2015: Kaitlyn Leith
2013-2014: Ivan Babanovski
2012-2013: [No award given]
2011-2012: Anissa Voron
2010-2011: Chelsea Chotena
2009-2010: Kristilyn Baldwin
2008-2009: David Edwards
2007-2008: Emily M. Reynolds
2006-2007: William Cioffi, Ding Ding Zheng
2005-2006: Julie Kranzberg
2004-2005: Megan Faragher