October 1 (for spring internships)
February 1 (for summer internships)
March 1 (for fall internships)
About the scholarships
Internships are a valuable part of the student experience–doing an internship builds skills and competencies that transfer to the workplace and smooth the transition from college. A 2022 survey of hiring managers by the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) reveals internship experience as the “most influential factor worth examining while making tough hiring decisions.”
Many internships are unpaid, making it difficult for students to pursue an internship while balancing their studies and other financial responsibilities. The Department of English Scholarship for Students with Unpaid Internships awards up to $3,000 per student to support them on the paths to career readiness. Unlike loans, scholarships never have to be repaid.
5 awards per semester of approximately $3,000 per student for 3 internship credit hours
The Department of English Scholarship for Students with Unpaid Internships is for undergraduate majors in the Department of English, an academic unit of The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. Both immersion and online students are eligible. The scholarships are awarded during the semester the internship is completed.
To be eligible for the scholarships, applicants must:
- Be an undergraduate student at ASU, online or immersion, with a declared major in English (any concentration); culture, technology and environment; or film and media studies in The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences;
- Not have previously completed a for-credit ASU internship;
- Be planning to complete an unpaid internship for ASU academic credit through the Department of English. Any internship context is acceptable: in-person or virtual, on or off campus, domestic or international. Examples include:
- Nonprofit/community organizations
- Public/government agencies
- Business/corporate environments
- ASU academic or research units
- During the internship, complete 12 hours/week (fall or spring internships) or 15 hours/week (summer internships);
- Demonstrate need (do this in your resume or application answers); and
- Complete an application form (below) and submit required materials by the deadline(s).