- About Us
- Writing Programs
- Undergraduate Studies
- Graduate Studies
- Graduate Degree and Certificate Programs
- Graduate Advising
- Advisement and Registration
- Annual Student Evaluation
- Computing Resources
- Contact Information
- Doctoral Examinations
- Dossier Service
- Exit Interviews
- Financial Aid
- Foreign Language Requirements
- Graduate Programs and Concentrations
- International Students
- M.A. English Online Handbook
- M.A. Thesis
- MTESOL Handbook
- Non-Thesis Option
- Ph.D. Timeline
- Plan of Study
- Reading List - Medieval Literature
- Reading List - Renaissance Literature
- Graduate Student Housing Information
- Teaching Assistantships
- Scholarships and Awards
- Fall 2015 Grad Classes
- Graduate Course List
- Graduate Student Organizations
- PhD Placement
- Study Abroad
- Teaching Opportunities Abroad
- Department Forms
- News & Events
- Class Descriptions
- Program Areas
- Faculty Resources
- Employment Opportunities
- Supporting the Department
- Contact Us
Information for International Students
International students who are from countries whose native language is not English (regardless of where they may now reside) must meet English proficiency requirements for the Graduate College as outlined in the ASU academic catalog.
International students applying to graduate programs in the Department of English at ASU must submit evidence of English proficiency. This can be done in one of three ways:
1. One of the following results on a standardized English proficiency test: (a) 100 (iBT) or 600 (PBT) or higher on the TOEFL; (b) 7.0 or higher on the IELTS. The MTESOL program will also accept a 68 or higher on the Pearson Test of English Academic (PTEA).
2. A grade of "A" in all Advanced 2 classes in the ASU Global Launch Program (https://learnenglish.asu.edu/);
3. One of the following from a regionally accredited college/university in the US: (a) a bachelor's degree or higher; (b) at least 90 semester hours of undergraduate coursework with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale; (c) at least 12 semester hours of graduate coursework with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
A minimum score of 55 on the Test of Spoken English (TSE) or Speaking Proficiency English Assessment Kit (SPEAK) is also required for teaching assistants.
The TOEFL exam is the only exam offered through ASU University Testing. For TOEFL information and test dates at ASU contact University Testing Service.
The SPEAK exam is only offered through Global Launch.
For general information about the TOEFL, Test of Written English and TSE, contact the Educational Testing Service.
Important Notice to Current Students: In order for international students to maintain good standing for their VISAs, they must take a minimum of 9 credit hours per semester (i.e., 3 classes), 6 of which should be face-to-face classes.
Resources Available to International Students
International Student Office 480 727 4776, located on the first floor of the Student Services Building, email@example.com
The International Student Office provides a variety of services including orientation, immigration advising, referrals and programming. Their programming includes activities which assist international students in meeting people and adjusting to their new lives at ASU.
The International Student Survival Guide is a good resource for new and continuing international students.
Global Launch (formally known as the American English and Culture Program) 480-965-2376. Global Launch is an intensive English as a second language program which prepares students for academic work at the university level. Students may enter the appropriate level classes several times during the year. Fees are separate from ASU tuition.
Curriculum Development and Support is designed to assist in enhancing the quality of writing and critical thinking skills of university students. The Writing Center provides students with one on one and group tutoring in writing skills. The Writing Center is located in UASB 140 or contact 480-965-4272.
Tutoring Services 480-965-6658, Student Services building A361.